Dharamsala over looks the plains and is surrounded by dense pine trees and Deodar forests. It provides pollution free and a relaxed atmosphere. It is favorite with the travelers who come to explore mountains as this becomes there base camp.
Dharamshala reflects a simple lifestyle and colorful temples and Gompas reflect the Tibetan culture which is an added attraction. Also once can get to see the sculptures, temples and architecture as old as 5th centuries.
Climate: The climate is considerably cooler and the best season to visit Dharmashala is Mid May to Mid October.
How to reach:
- Distance: It is located at a distance of 185 kms from Shimla, Kullu is at 183 kms.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Pathankot which is about 85 kms from Dharamshala and is an 3 and half hour journey by road to Dharamsala from there, Pathankot is connected with trains all over the country.
- By Air: The airport Gaggla is 13 kms from the town and is connected to Delhi by air.
- By Bus: Bus services are available from Manali, Delhi and Shimla. From Delhi the entire journey is of about 8 hours.
What to see and what to do:
Dharamshala has a variety of places which interest lots of tourists from the entire world,
- Kangra Art Museum: The museum displays arts, crsfts, artifacts, miniature paintings, sculptures, pottery and anthropological items that belong to the 5th century and is the treasure of Kangra’s valley.
- War Memorial: It is a tribute to the independence war heroes of Himachal Pradesh.
- St. John’s Church: The stone Church is 8 kms from Dharamshala and carries the memories of The British Raj. Also under the shade of Deodar trees a memorial for the British Viceroy has been made over his body who had died in Dharamshala.
- Norbulinka Institute: It is about 4 kms away from the Dharamshala and it preserves the ancient Tibetan arts. One also gets to see beautiful wooden carvings, tangka paintings, golsithing and embroidery been done. Also the nunnery close by teaches advanced levels of Buddhist philosophy to women.
One also gets a chance to visit few tourist attractions which are located very near by to Dharamshala:
- Macleodganj: The impressive monastery has larger than life size images of Buddha, Padmasambhava and Avaloketeshwara.
- Kareri: A beautiful rest house located in the coolness of pine groove and surrounded by tall oak and pine tress also the beautiful Kareri Lake is just 13 kms from the rest house.This rest house is 22 kms from Dharamshala.
- Masrur: 15 carved monolithic rock temples sculpted in majestic style of Ellora and at as old as th century. Also image of Lord Rama, Sita and Lakhsman can be found jus 15 kms south of the Kangra.
- Triund: A picnic spot located at a height of 2827 m. This area is on the foot hills of Trinund and provides picturesque views of mountains and valleys.
Dharamshala has become a major tourist attraction also due to Adventure Sports which can be played here. These sports are hugely popular with the youngsters. The Adventure sports in Dharamshala mainly include Trekking and rock climbing and angling and fishing.
Hotels and Resorts in Dharamshala:
- Hotel Centre Point, Dharamsala.
- Hotel Valley View Crest, Dharamsala.
- Spring Valley Resort, Dharamsala.
- Surya Resort – Mcleodganj, Dharamsala.
- Royal Palace Resort, Dharamsala.
- Grace Cottage, Dharamsala.
- White Haven Estate, Dharamsala.
- Asia Health Resorts, Dharamsala.
- Anand Palace Mcleodganj, Dharamsala.
- Snow Hermitage Resorts, Dharamsala.